Thursday, June 2, 2011

i've struck gold!

Little does more to excite a gardener then the introduction to a "new" plant. I can often be overheard exclaiming "this is one of my favorites"...today however, I discovered the most amazing species of barberry I have ever witnessed. Sungold Pillar is an upright variety in my favorite color of barberry. It can reach 3-4' tall but is only 2' wide. This columnar deciduous shrub is the yummiest shade of chartreuse, but the new growth appears to have a reddish tinge. It is a Proven Winner variety and I am anxious to see how it does in my landscape. I am hoping it will serve as a better alternative to the Sky Pencil Holly of the south. I can see it flanking an entryway or even making a statement in a planter surrounded by ivy. It can take both full and part sun so it is an option for a multitude of environments.

No comments: